Stead McAlpin is located just south of Carlisle in the village of Cummersdale. The site can be accessed from Junctions 41, 42 and 43 of the M6 motorway as follows:
- Route 1 - M6 Junction 41
- Route 3 - M6 Junction 42
- Route 2 - M6 Junction 43 (through Carlisle centre)
M6 Junction 42
- Take the roundabout exit to Dalston.
- Go straight on at the staggered crossroads at the Black Lion Inn, still following signs for Dalston.
- At the junction by the garage and Bridge End Inn, turn right on to the B5299 for Dalston village.
- Go through Dalston, passing the schools and the Nestlé factory on the right.
- Continue for about two miles to the outskirts of Carlisle and take the right turn signposted to Cummersdale.
- Go right through the village, down the hill and follow the road round to Stead McAlpin.